Friday, January 27, 2012

A house too big

Growing up, I always lived in a small house, after getting married, we lived in a small house, apartments, and another small house. I was always happy in our small house, but something inside me always wanted a bigger house and hoped we could one day we could provide a good size house for our kids to have friends over, host events, etc. So, in January 2011, when we finally started really looking for a new home to purchase or build, we of course had our criteria in mind. The first was to live in the girls school zone. That of course narrowed the choices down quite a bit of homes to buy. We were looking at around 3000 sq foot(+/-), 5 bedrooms, and an open living room. We searched and searched and found one home we really liked. It was 2900 sq ft. and in the neighborhood we are currently living, but another family already had a contract on it and unfortunetly, the neighborhood did not have the same builder anymore. So we went to plan B, Building. We LOVED the neighborhood, but none of the plans they offered at the time were really what we were looking for. However, a few days later, the sales rep. emailed us a plan called the Bridgeview. We fell in love with it immediately. The only downfall, is it was 4100 sq ft, 6 bedrooms (we made it 7), a huge game room and 3 1/2 baths (we have 4 1/2). We really didn't need or want a house this big, but after thinking about it for a few weeks, we decided to write up the contract. We changed the game room into an additional master bedroom with a walk in closet and big bathroom for my Mom, in case she decides to move in with us. So we have 7 bedrooms, 4 1/2 baths, a formal living room (our playroom), formal dinning room, and of course the normal family room, breakfast room, and kitchen. We were very excited needless to say. My dream of having a "big house" was finally coming true.

So, just imagine going from 1400 sq ft, 3 BR, 2 BA to 4100 sq ft. WHOHH! Huge difference. So, let me tell you, some days, I really wish I could go back to my 1400 sq ft. house. Well, maybe not that small, because with 3 kids, we do need more room. 3000 sq foot would be perfect I think. The demand of cleaning 5 toilets, 4 tubs, mopping floors, vacuming floors, keeping the finger prints off the stainless steel appliances, on top of the demands of 3 kiddos all alone is sometimes more than I can handle. It's just way too much house!! So my dream of having a big house is being shot down very quickly. Don't get me wrong, I love my house, it's just way too big. Sometimes I wish I had my white appliances, floor covering, and carpet back too. I never thought I would say it!


 
Posted by Picasa

No comments: