Tuesday, September 16, 2008

My Dad continues to grow weaker

If you could, please take a moment to say a prayer for my Dad. He is continuing to get weaker and weaker everyday. He is to the point now where he can barely walk. I took him to the doctor this morning and I had to hold onto his arm to keep him from falling. All he does is lay in the recliner and sleep. We try to get him up and encourage him, but he won't do it. He says he don't feel like it. He was knocked out of the trial treatment at Duke because he bilirubin count was too high. He has been 5 weeks now with no treatment which really scares me, espicially seeing how he is getting worse and worse. I took him to the cancer center in Greenville this morning and they are going to try a different treatment. They have to get a sample of the tissue but due to the fact that he is so weak, they do not want to put him to sleep to do a biopsy. They are hoping to be able to get enough tissue from the fluid he has been getting in his stomach to send off to Arizona. They will test it and maybe pinpoint a more targeted drug than the normal Gezmar used to treat pancreatic cancer. The only bad thing is it takes 10-14 days to get the results back after they get the tissue. I don't feel like he has the time to wait, but the treatment that they can give him now is not very effective:( It is heartbreaking watching him lay in that chair and get worse and worse and there is nothing I can do about it. Please say a prayer for my Mom too. She is so strong!! She is trying so hard to push him and motivate him, but he gets angry with her. He is not himself anymore. He is taking his anger out on my mom I think. She has so much to do and to think about, but she never lets it get her down. I have been taking him twice a week to have the fluid drawn from his stomach. Each time they take 6 Liters. He has a lot of nausea and vomiting. If God is ready to take my Dad, please pray that he will comfort him and that he will not suffer.

1 comment:

Alison said...

Amanda,
Please know that your family are in my prayers. I will be praying for strength for all of you.